For a few weeks now (literally) I’ve been wanting to make this chili. The recipe is from one of my Weight Watcher cookbooks (New Complete Cookbook) and it is a little twist to your basic chili.
*makes 4 servings*
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green (I used orange) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3/4-1lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (yeah I used 1 teaspoon by mistake, its got a little extra kick!)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I used close to 2 full cans, I heart chickpeas!)
Heat oil in large pan or Dutch oven. Sauté bell peppers and onion until tender.
Look how colorful!
Add in ground chicken and break up while stirring. Cook for another 5 minutes or until brown.
Sprinkle flour, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook another minute. Then add tomatoes and vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer 30-40 minutes. Finally add in chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Voila!
Look at all those chickpeas and vegetables mmmm!
Meanwhile, the hubby was making us an apple pie! No recipe here. He used the one on the Pillsbury pie crust box. No home made crust or anything fancy tonight!
And the finished product……. he seriously makes the best apple pies. I my hubby.
Now I clean up my mess and wait for the pie to cool before we dig in. This nice glass of wine is keeping us company while we wait … g’nite!